Wednesday, February 8, 2012

We Are All a Part of Something Big!!

One of my favorite materials in the Cultural Area are the Global Nesting Boxes made for me by a good friend of mine, Beth. She made them several years ago when we were going through training together. I teach on a traditional campus now. But I still use the nesting boxes. Although this year I plan to use them on Earth Day to reinforce the idea that each of us impacts our planet. The students usually enjoy the lesson very much because it simplifies a concept that is normally hard to grasp.

Normally, I like to read "Me on the Map" by Joan Sweeney afterward. Then the kids draw maps of the classroom. I may still do that, but I plan on looking for some other books about conservation and Earth Day to incorporate into the lesson. I also want to locate a book that includes a bit about space because of how my nesting boxes are set up.

I've seen global nesting boxes that start with the United States, then the state, then the address/home, and finally the individual/child. But the boxes that I recieved began with the universe.

Universe --> Galaxy --> Solar System --> Earth --> North America --> United States --> Texas --> City --> School --> Me (this box has a mirror in it)



These are the boxes after the lesson has been presented to the students.


Universe --> Galaxy --> Solar System


Earth --> United States --> North America


Texas --> City --> School --> Me


I just love the way the lids look when they are nested together!





The boxes are a set of 10. I've looked online and it seems that they came from IKEA. But they don't carry them anymore, othewise I would have posted a link for those interested in buying them. I did, however, locate these sellers:

Zooly Box*: They make the boxes. They can even use your artwork for the outside. Prices were not listed.

Mudd Kids*: These are plastic with no lids. It kind of takes away from the mystery of what's inside, but if you are creative in presenting the lesson then it can still be very effective.


*Disclaimer: I did not purchase from nor am I endorsing these vendors. I am only providing the links as a courtesy.

1 comment:

  1. Love this! I use it when I talk about systems. I like for the kids to know how important they are for "our system"! We also talk about how you can't have one without the other!

    ReplyDelete