Monday, May 7, 2012

New Favorite Books

The other day I was shopping on Amazon for some new books for the classroom. I ran across the book Press Here by Herve Tullet.


I originally bought the book on a whim. 1) It looked pretty and 2) I wanted to do some activities with dots.

When the book arrived I read it to my 10 year old son. I thought that he'd get bored with me reading a book meant for my Pre-Kinders. I was wrong. He was so entralled with it!


The book is designed to keep the child actively participating. Each page encourages interaction and causes a change on the next page. I loved it because it is a great way to check for listening skills, understanding of simple 1 step directions, left and right, counting, and a few other skills.

I won't give away all the great things inside but I will say that it is certainly worth the investment!

The other book that I purchased for my dot adventure was The Dot by Peter H. Reynolds.



This book is about a child that claims that he is not an artist. His art teacher provides encouragement to him when he makes a simple dot on his paper. Soon dots become his "thing".

This week the children and I plan to make dots "Our Thing". We started out today by hanging up a plain white paper. I gave each student four sheets of dots and 3 rows of mini-dots. They were then given "free will to place the dots on the paper.


This is the results so far.


I've got a few other activities in mind. I'm not sure how they'll come out.

*Disclaimer: I do not get any perks for sharing these books. I just love them. *

No comments:

Post a Comment